Blue Ant Media is an international media company that creates, distributes and broadcasts content. Our brands, which include Cottage Life, Love Nature, Omnia, Smithsonian Channel Canada, Makeful and T+E, engage fans through passion categories ranging from nature to DIY and outdoor living to music.
Our brands are a product of our employees who are passionate experts in all of these areas. They are fanatical about creating outstanding content and experiences; and enthusiastic about delivering it on new and evolving platforms.
We actively seek out people who embody our core values—optimism, creativity, entrepreneurism, agility and integrity. We attract creative talents who are optimistic about the evolving future of content and who take pride in seeing opportunity where others see challenges. We encourage employees to think like small business owners by taking ownership on projects and giving them the flexibility to take risks and embrace an evolving media landscape. Our team members excel at collaborating with internal and external partners and our culture fosters sharing ideas and treating all people with respect.
Are you one of us?
Job postings at Blue Ant Media:
Intermediate PHP Developer (WordPress)
- Close Date
- 31 May 2017
- Merton Street
Blue Ant Media is a privately held international media company that owns and operates 10 media brands including Cottage Life, Love Nature, Smithsonian Channel Canada and Makeful. Blue Ant Media creates and distributes content worldwide ranging from nature to DIY, outdoor living to music, engaging fans across television, digital, magazines and live events. The company also owns Omnia Media, a YouTube network and Choice TV, a broadcast channel in New Zealand. Blue Ant Media is based in Toronto and has offices in Los Angeles, London (UK) and Auckland.
Intermediate PHP Developer (WordPress)
Blue Ant Media is hiring an Intermediate PHP Developer (WordPress) who possesses a passion for pushing web technologies to the limits. You will join a skilled team of engineers to develop cutting edge websites and create beautiful, engaging products for Blue Ant’s existing and developing brands.
This is a unique opportunity to help drive product innovation inside one of Canada’s top media companies and help shape products that will entertain, educate and connect millions of people worldwide with amazing content.
Please note this role is a full time on-site 6 month contract with the possibility of further extension or an opportunity to become permanent.
- Develop high-quality, responsive WordPress websites for the full spectrum of devices (phones, tablets, desktops)
- Write testable and maintainable code
- Participate in sprint planning sessions to help shape short-term goals
- Participate in design discussions early in the product lifecycle and throughout iterations of our products
- Stay up-to-date with the general web landscape, architectures, frameworks, trends, and emerging technologies
Key Qualifications & Experience
- 2+ years’ experience with WordPress development (themes and plugins)
- Experience with OOP design patterns (MVC, Strategy, Factory, Singleton, etc.)
- Experience working with REST APIs
- Experience with integrating 3rd party libraries and APIs; familiarity with social media integration is an asset
- Solid understanding of version control systems
- Strong command of mobile performance improvement techniques
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to articulate technical solutions
Bonus Points for:
- Experience with frontend development (HTML5 / Sass)
- Strong understanding and experience with rapid prototyping and A/B testing
- Experience with writing unit tests and continuous integration techniques
- Familiarity with concepts for writing maintainable code (e.g. Design by Contract, SOLID principles)
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment
Blue Ant Media celebrates diversity in both its programming and workforce. We encourage applications from individuals of all backgrounds who are eligible to work in Canada.
We thank all candidates for their interest in Blue Ant Media and we will reach out to those candidates that are under consideration. If you are contacted for an interview and require an accommodation during the recruitment process, please advise Human Resources.