Blue Ant Media is a privately held, international content producer, distributor and channel operator. From our production houses around the world, we create content for multiple genres including factual, factual entertainment, short-form digital series and kids programming. Our distribution business, Blue Ant International, offers a catalogue of 3,200+ hours of content, including the largest 4K natural history offering on the market. Blue Ant Media's international channel business offers a portfolio of media brands around the globe. Blue Ant Media is headquartered in Toronto, with operations in Los Angeles, Singapore, Auckland, Dunedin, London, Washington, Sydney, Beijing and Taipei. Follow us on: Twitter / LinkedIn / Instagram
Our productions and media brands are a product of our employees who are passionate experts in all of these areas. They are fanatical about creating outstanding content and experiences; and enthusiastic about delivering it on new and evolving platforms.
We actively seek out people who embody our core values: optimism, creativity, entrepreneurism, agility and integrity. We attract creative talents who are optimistic about the evolving future of content and who take pride in seeing opportunity where others see challenges. We encourage employees to think like small business owners by taking ownership on projects and giving them the flexibility to take risks and embrace an evolving media landscape. Our team members excel at collaborating with internal and external partners and our culture fosters sharing ideas and treating all people with respect.
Are you one of us?
Job postings at Blue Ant Media:
Senior Director Finance, International Distribution
- Close Date
- 6 Mar 2018
Reporting to the EVP, International Distribution (with a dotted line to the CFO), this role co-ordinates consistent management reporting and helps drive profitability in the International Distribution business. This position works in collaboration with the Finance department.
The successful candidate will bring a deep experience and understanding of the international content production and distribution industries, and play a pivotal role in helping to grow Blue Ant Media’s international rights business.
Responsibilities & Duties
The Sr Director, Finance, International Distribution will be responsible for:
Business Operations, Intelligence and Analytics
- In partnership with business units, establish and track key operational and strategic performance metrics that allow the Executive team to rapidly assess the performance of Blue Ant Media (BAM)’s international distribution businesses in all operational areas so that strategic decisions can be made based on the results.
- Identify opportunities to increase profitability through economies of scale and more efficient purchasing through group-wide supplier deals.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with business unit sales executives and sales operations across the company to gather information/data for analysis and reporting at a corporate level.
- Create standardized reporting and analysis across our worldwide Distribution Companies.
- Prepare, manage and distribute all metrics on a pre-established reporting schedule. Including review of producer reporting, sales reporting by titles, by geography.
- Responsible for interfacing with external clients during reporting periods
Financial Modelling, Planning, and Forecasting
- Create and maintain financial models for content rights investment and exploitation and track progress against investment case.
- Working with local management, create and maintain monthly and quarterly forecasts of profit and cash to track business performance versus Plan.
- Work with the key operational stakeholders to prepare Annual Budget including interfacing with Finance Department
Reporting and Analytics
- Analyze cost recovery and SG&A.
- Prepare timely and accurate financial reports for management including status of producer and output deals, recovery of distribution advances, revenue and profitability by titles etc.
- Monitor and report the company's performance versus budget, with commentary to explain significant variances and trends.
- Key finance/analytical support for financial audit.
Experience & Qualifications
- A recognized financial designation (CFA, MBA, CPA, etc.) or experiential equivalent.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in operational finance within the media production or distribution sector.
- Thorough understanding of the operations of production companies and the exploitation of distribution rights on an international basis. Familiarity with distribution budgeting and cost reporting.
- Appreciation of the creative process and the contributions of content creators.
- Experienced in driving profitability in distribution rights exploitation, including maximizing margins, direct cost recoveries and international sales.
- Experience with different models for financing/investing in content rights and with refining structures to minimize risk and maximize return on investments.
- Experience managing monthly management reporting and distribution specific financial analysis – e.g. cost margin by producer and title and cash reporting.
- Experience working in a fast-moving entrepreneurial environment, where an appreciation for meeting tight deadlines has been gained.
- A proven track record building relationships and establishing credibility with internal customers and management
- Strong organizational skills with an ability to manage multiple priorities and to consistently meet deadlines.
- International experience is an asset.
- An excellent advisor, willing to make recommendations and decisions.
- Strong communication abilities; committed to keeping senior management regularly informed of all relevant issues and will ensure open lines of communication throughout the organization.
- Energetic, confident, personable, professional, and credible.
- Hardworking, pragmatic, results- and detail-oriented with a strong sense of urgency.
- Ambitious, driven, and business-savvy.
- Problem-solver, takes initiative, accepts ownership and accountability.
- Entrepreneurial; a self-starter.
Blue Ant Media celebrates diversity in both its programming and workforce. We encourage applications from individuals of all backgrounds who are eligible to work in Canada.
We thank all candidates for their interest in Blue Ant Media and we will reach out to those candidates that are under consideration. If you are contacted for an interview and require an accommodation during the recruitment process, please advise Human Resources.