Blue Ant Media is a privately held, international content producer, distributor and channel operator. From our production houses around the world, we create content for multiple genres including factual, factual entertainment, short-form digital series and kids programming. Our distribution business, Blue Ant International, offers a catalogue of 3,500+ hours of content, including the largest 4K natural history offering on the market. Blue Ant Media's international channel business offers a portfolio of media brands around the globe. Blue Ant Media is headquartered in Toronto, with operations in Los Angeles, Singapore, Auckland, Dunedin, London, Washington, Sydney, Beijing and Taipei. Follow us on: Twitter / LinkedIn / Instagram
Our productions and media brands are a product of our employees who are passionate experts in all of these areas. They are fanatical about creating outstanding content and experiences; and enthusiastic about delivering it on new and evolving platforms.
We actively seek out people who embody our core values: optimism, creativity, entrepreneurism, agility and integrity. We attract creative talents who are optimistic about the evolving future of content and who take pride in seeing opportunity where others see challenges. We encourage employees to think like small business owners by taking ownership on projects and giving them the flexibility to take risks and embrace an evolving media landscape. Our team members excel at collaborating with internal and external partners and our culture fosters sharing ideas and treating all people with respect.
Are you one of us?
Job postings at Blue Ant Media:
Senior Accounts Receivable and Revenue Analyst
- Close Date
- 1 Feb 2019
Reporting directly to the Manager of Revenue & Receivables (“MRR”), the Senior Accounts Receivable and Revenue Analyst ("SARR") will support in all aspects of the Company’s revenue accounting, including revenue recognition, invoicing and collections. Although primarily focused on the Company’s Canadian and UK operations, the SARR will be responsible for assisting both the MRR and the Director of Finance (“DOF”) in projects aimed at improving automation and reducing inefficiencies in the financial reporting month end close and for ensuring consistent application of relevant accounting policies and practices across the Group.
Blue Ant Media has four business segments, and multiple revenue streams within each segment. The role will take the lead in certain streams, and assist the MRR in others.
The company has expanded rapidly in the past few years, through both Canadian and Global acquisitions. These acquisitions cover a broad spectrum of the Media world, including TV, Social Media, Video on Demand platforms, International production houses, print magazines and Consumer Shows.
Responsibilities & Duties
Accounting Period Close Process
- Take the lead in certain areas of the business to ensure the close is well managed and that deadlines are respected.
- Oversee the recording of all bank entries, and ensure these entries are booked in a timely fashion and that bank reconciliations are provided on the accounts under the management of the revenue department.
- Assist the MRR in the calculation and accrual of certain costs that are driven off revenue - specifically sales commissions and Producer royalties. The SARR will be expected to develop, over time, a thorough understanding of the contractual arrangements underpinning such costs so as to be able assess the accuracy and completeness of costs and accrued liabilities.
- In addition to ensuring Revenue accuracy and completeness, the SARR will also be responsible for assisting the sales team in the preparation of Gross Margins on Digital Sales and Performance Solutions, ensuring appropriate matching of costs and revenues on such projects, working closely with Accounts Payable and relevant Business Unit.
- Preparation of all related Balance Sheet accounts in accordance with the close schedules.
- Responsible for the monitoring of the aging of receivables and credit limits and ensuring that each team member is focused on collections and reporting to the MRR on a weekly basis on those clients deemed a credit risk.
- Attend meetings and work closely with Business Unit and Operation colleagues to ensure they are aware of any challenges and that they are supporting Finance’s efforts to collect.
- In tandem with the Company’s Senior Manager of Treasury & Tax, assist in the preparation of Tax Certificates of Residency for all International customers in a timely manner.
- Working closely with the DOF and the MRR, the SARR will play a key role in ensuring automation of accounting processes across the department and assisting in any projects to further this goal.
- Assist in the move from the older Print and Consumer Show invoicing software to a new system by financial year-end.
- Keep informed as to developments in accounting standards as they pertain to revenue recognition, ensuring that Blue Ant is compliant, and that the Company can model with certainly the future accounting treatment associated with various deal structures.
- Assist the MRR and the A/R team in continuous efforts to improve processes, whether through better use of IT systems or through joint efforts with sales and operations teams, and potentially customers, to revise processes and work-flows.
- Identify any gaps in current set-up of this department, in terms of our ability to ensure objectives are being delivered on, and assess if any such gaps can be closed through revisions to existing structures, or if further resources are needed. Identify opportunities to utilize shared resources, such as other members of the finance department.
- The company operates in over 10 currencies, so the candidate must be comfortable working with multiple foreign currencies.
- The company’s sale agreements can be different for each deal, so the candidate must be capable of reading, understanding, and interpreting complex translation entries to be booked across all global entities.
Experience & Qualifications
The successful candidate must have the following attributes and experiences:
At a minimum:
- Pursing an accounting designation.
- Experience working in a revenue and receivables role for at least 3 years.
- Familiarity with Accounting software in general and NetSuite is an added bonus.
Other soft skills required:
- Strong customer service focus coupled with strong attention to detail.
- Good inter-personal skills, experience in working in a team and a comfort level making collection calls.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in sales and operations, while at the same time ensuring that the Company’s internal controls and risk management needs are adhered to.
- Ambition to ultimately grow beyond this role and take on progressively more challenging roles within the team.
Blue Ant Media celebrates diversity in both its programming and workforce. We encourage applications from individuals of all backgrounds who are eligible to work in Canada.
We thank all candidates for their interest in Blue Ant Media and we will reach out to those candidates that are under consideration. If you are contacted for an interview and require an accommodation during the recruitment process, please advise Human Resources.